Chinese New Year Preparations 2020
Are you ready for the year of the Yang Metal Rat – Geng Zi?
In 2020, the Chinese Lunar New Year begins early on January 25 and the 15-day Spring Festival concludes at the beginning of the Chinese Solar New Year on February 4. At that time, all Feng Shui and Flying Star yearly adjustments and enhancements should be in place. The Chinese New Year coincides with the period known as ‘Spring Begins’ and all the optimism associated with fresh, new beginnings. Farmers start their planting season on this day with hopes of a bountiful year. If you have not yet cleared your home and workplace, the coming weeks provide a perfect opportunity to do so since unfinished business carried into the new year will hinder your progress going forward.
It is customary in traditional Chinese culture to complete the following projects before the new year in order to start the year off on the right foot, minus your baggage from the previous year.
Here are 18 ideas to help you on your way.
Before January 25, 2020:
- Clean your home and business thoroughly, including basements, garages, porches, attics and storage rooms
- Wash windows, touch-up or paint walls, clean filters, vents and drains
- Open the doors and sweep your home from the front to the back door to remove last year’s energy
- Clear all clutter by donating, selling or disposing of items that no longer serve you
- Organize files (including digital), closets, drawers, calendars and schedules
- Clean out refrigerators and pantries and replace only the freshest and healthiest foods
- Repair or remove anything that is broken – especially clocks, watches or aged/faulty electronic equipment that can keep you stuck in the past
- Trim or remove any trees or branches that need cutting on your property and thank them for their service. If they leave a gap, plant something young and vibrant in their place
- Check lighting inside and out to be sure fixtures and bulbs are in working order. This will help illuminate your surroundings in the new year
- Clean every mirror, crystal and glass fixture in your home and business for clarity in 2020
- If you have an altar or meditation area, clean and restate your wishes, dreams and intentions for the year
- Service and clean your automobile for safe and efficient passage through the year
- Pay your debts and balance bank accounts so as not to drag obligations with you into 2020
- Clean and polish your front door then oil the hinges for smooth access and new opportunities
- Reconcile disputes with friends, colleagues or family members for a fresh start to the year
- Get a haircut now to prevent cutting into your good fortune in the new year
- Burn sage, sweetgrass and nag champa or ring bells in your home and business to clear invisible stagnant energy before the beginning of the new year
- Remove your front doormat and replace it with a brand new one on Chinese New Year’s eve (January 24.) You’ll avoid dragging 2019’s energy into your home or business on 2020’s footsteps.
Wishing you a fresh start to a bountiful year,
Diane Gallin, CFSC